Saturday, November 10, 2007

Rain

Yup, it's raining here. Of course it is, this is southern New Jersey. Rain is our most common weather type. Okay, maybe not, but during the fall, winter, and spring, it sure feels that way. Autumn has definitely arrived, and it is here in force. It's not such a bad thing, though, because it's such a pretty time of year. There are trees out there that just shine, they're so bright.

I'm still trying to find a job in Pennsylvania, plus a place to live. This whole moving thing would be so much easier if those two things were handled. I have faith we'll find a house, and that we'll find jobs somewhere. Jim's looking at getting a job on a night crew somewhere, and in the interest of actually seeing him at some point, I'm trying to do the same. I really don't want to be nocturnal, though. Everyone else I know operates on a diurnal schedule, and it's hard enough to see them as it is. Ah, well. I'm sure we'll be able to figure something out.

I've noticed that most women I talk to seem so intimidated by cars, and that makes me very sad. Once you know the basics, they're much less scary. And believe me, most of it is basic. Someone suggested that I start a class and teach women (and men, but women seem to need the encouragement more) how to do basic things. I think it would be kind of cool to help people figure out what's what with their car. This all came to mind again last night when my mom mentioned her co-worker paid three hundred dollars to have his brakes done, plus the mechanic "found" something else wrong with the car, which cost another two or three hundred dollars.

Let's all say it together, "rip off!" Seriously, those parts should've cost maybe a hundred dollars, if the mechanic put the most expensive parts on there, and he could've tightened some bolts instead of replacing the part he "found" a problem with. That leaves us with three or four hundred dollars worth of labor. That's just wrong. Seeing people get ripped off like this always makes me upset. It's one of the reasons mechanics have such a bad reputation, too. And if the people who took their cars in knew more about what they drive, it would be harder for them to get cheated. And yet, unless they go to an expensive tech school or learn it from a friend, there's really no way to learn this stuff. Ah, well. No point in ranting. But seriously, if your mechanic tells you something that sounds wrong, ask him or her to show you the broken part and explain it to you. Really now, end of lecture.

Not much knitting news to report, I'm still working on my many projects. I'm trying to concentrate on the scarf, since it's cold, and Jim will need it. It's acrylic, so I can't block the tension issues out, so I think once I get towards the end, I'm going to tighten my tension back up and say it's a design feature. It'll keep your neck warmer or something. Yet another valuable thing I learned from marching band. If it looks wrong and there's no way or time to fix it, say it's an artistic feature.

2 comments:

Donna Lee said...

Marching band was good for so many reasons. I am so glad that I am surrounded by mechanically competent folks (like you and dad) because I don't have to bother my pretty little head with it. Jim will love the scarf because it will be warm. He won't care about tension issues. It's cammo. What's not to love?

Rose Red said...

I think teaching a class on cars is a great idea - you should totally do that!!

Thanks so much for the very kind birthday wishes - I've had a great (and yarny) weekend so far!