Saturday, February 9, 2008

I am Really Terrible at being an adult...

...because I should be cleaning the kitchen up from dinner last night, starting the soup for dinner tonight, painting the bedroom, doing the laundry, cleaning the bathroom, and handling some more boxes. But I think I'm getting a cold, I'm all sniffly and tired. So, even though I made myself a deal that if I was productive today, I could take Tuesday off of chorse to sniffle and be miserable (i have no immune system, so by tuesday, i will likely be a sniffling, snot-filled ball of misery. i'm hoping to curl up on the couch and look pitiful enough that someone will feed me hot liquids and pet me and say "there, there, you poor sick baby") and hopefully knit. I would very much like to finish my bribe socks before it's too warm for them. It won't happen, I'm much too slow at knitting yet, but I'd like to be done them. So, even though myself and I have this deal, and I have a bunch of chores to do, I am sitting here blogging. Yup. Myself just blew the deal off. And this is why I'm terrible at being and adult. I'm pretty sure that any day now, some members of the local Bureau of Adulthood will come and take me away and torture me with some Advanced Adulthood Training until I start acting more like an adult. That would just be too horrible. I might have to start being responsible and doing chores instead of knitting and playing online.

In other news, I turned down the job offer I was given. I tried to negotiate with the manager dude, and all he was willing to offer me was a guaranteed bonus for sixty days and after that, I was on my own. Well, if they want me travelling two hours a day and working sixty-six hours a week, they had damn sure better be paying me enough to cover my bills. And they wouldn't. So, it looks like I'll be with Pep Boys at least a little longer.

In knitting news, I've sort of ground to a screeching halt. On everything. Seriously, I've done pretty much zero knitting in the last several days. I've been too short of time to do it on my lunch break at work, and too tired to do it after work. How terrible is that? On the bright side, Jim stopped by my parents' house when last he went to Jersey and brought me back another copy of my Conwy pattern. I'm thinking I'll work on that on Tuesdays, when I don't have work and don't feel so compelled to do chores (saturdays were always chore days at my house growing up, and so even now, i feel compelled to clean things on saturday. thanks, mom.) and maybe I'll take better notes about where I am in the pattern. Maybe then, the socks will be appeased, and we can continue on together in a merry way. And maybe I'll give some lifelines a shot. Anybody ever used them in socks? It probably sounds silly for a sock, but this yarn doesn't adhere to itself much, so if I have to pull a repeat out, so many stitches get dropped that I may have to pull out a lot of repeats just to pick up all my stitches. You know, I'm sure other people are perfectly fine working this pattern. I can't decide if it's the yarn, or I'm the anti-knitter and just am not meant to use Nancy Bush's pattern.

Goodness, look how much I babble when I take cold medicine. Actually, that's probably not the medicine, I seem to tend to ramble by nature. Okay. Time to go make some tea and do some chores, before the Society for Adults Acting Like Adults starts petitioning me or something dire. Enjoy the rest of the weekend, darlings.

6 comments:

Donna Lee said...

I have been on the run from the Society for years and years. Shh. I won't tell on you if you don't tell on me. And yes, Saturdays are for cleaning but they're also for driving through the woods, curling up with a new Stephen King novel, knitting a soft, alpaca sock, baking cookies and just napping. Enjoy your day off. The chores will wait.

Rose Red said...

It's funny, isn't it, how when you are a kid you think adults are all responsible and they never put things off, like chores and stuff. I've discovered that they do. They're just good at hiding it from the kids!!!

Hope you are feeling better. And don't feel guilty about the chores. They'll get done eventually...

Amy Lane said...

eek! They can take away my adulthood! OMG! Someone clean my house for me or I'm doomed!

Feel better, Em...it's hard to be grown up when your immune system is playing hooky.

Bells said...

You know, being an adult is sometimes overrated. Don't beat yourself up about it, Em.

And I reckon lifelines in some socks would be a really smart move. Give it a go and let us know how it works!

Olivia said...

I think being an adult actually means you CAN break your own rules and leave the chores til later. (though possibly I am just a grot) You only live once and you won't be regretting not cleaning more at the end of your life!

Use lifelines wherever you feel like it. The knitting police can go hang out with the adulthood police for all I care.

Kate said...

I've got lifelines in the knee-high socks I'm knitting, because the merino slides through itself so smoothly it drops stitches if I look at it wrong. And I am not pulling out ten inches of sock because I dropped a stitch.

Ignore the adulthood police, they can't catch you, you're too smart. And besides, illness makes you exempt to adult rules.