Saturday, July 12, 2008

Moving Along

Things here at chez Hendryburnswood (our last names make a neat little sentence, don't they?) are progressing nicely. I have put my money where my mouth is, as the saying goes, and am looking for another job. I am tired, absolutely tired, of being taken advantage of again and again. And so, I'm leaving. Just as soon as I find a job that doesn't pay me by commission, expect me to travel the great state of Pennsylvania selling insurance/bank accounts/beauty products door-to-door, or require more hours and less pay than my current job. I have time, I have skills. I can be picky, right? I'll keep you all posted, and any stray good-employment-opportunity vibes you want to send my way would be appreciated.

In other news, the sock. I adore this pattern. It's so easy. Have I mentioned how easy it is? Cause it's pretty simple. And yet, I only have the cuff done. I'm about to start the heel (i trimmed off a pattern repeat or two, just to make sure i don't run out of yarn two inches away from the toe of my second sock. i honestly believe that that would kill me. and everything around me.) and hopefully that goes as easily as the rest. I feel slightly bad for taking out almost an inch of sock, but I'd rather have slightly shorter socks that are complete than one long sock and one leg warmer with a foot and no toes. One of these days, I'm going to have to break down and just buy a small digital scale. I think it'll help cut back on the guesswork by a ton. And think of all the fascinating new neuroses I can amuse my roommates with! Yarn in the freezer? That ain't nothin'.

Visiting Aunt Joan was...good. Better than I'd expected, as I'd prepared myself for the worst, and we weren't--quite--there yet. My aunt looks better than I'd expected, in terms of color and her lips being purple rather than blue, but that was the first time in all my many years that I've seen her without her hair done. She's still got spirit, though. She insisted on showing the socks Momolla made her off. She loves them so much, I think I'll have to make her a pair or two, as well. I'd give her the ones I'm making now, but they're not machine-friendly, and she'd need something a little lower-maintenance.

Short post today, gotta go clean my house a bit and move all the furniture away from our windows. The landlady is springing for new glass and screens and pulleys, so we can open our (original to the hundred-year-old house) windows and let some air in. The nice window man is coming on Monday, so I'd like to have things in order by tomorrow night. It won't happen, but it sure is nice to dream. I hope the rest of your weekend is smooth and sweet and gently productive.

5 comments:

Galad said...

Positive employment vibes being sent your way. Hopefully it won't take too long to find something new and have a little more time for a life!

Georgie said...

I have this image of you getting to the start of the toe decreases and the end of your yarn simultaneously, and then spontaneously combusting on the sofa!! Please try not to!

Thinking good job hunting thoughts. Lots and lots of them.

Donna Lee said...

Someone out there will see the potential and snap you right up. There's an opening in the Learning Center.....

Rose Red said...

Geez, I go away for work for a week and come back to 3 posts!! Your sock looks great - I think you picked the right yarn for it, definitely!

I'm glad you are going to try and find another job, life's too short to be unhappy in what you do for a living. Well, really unhappy anyway, so wishing you all the very best with the job search, I'm sure you'll find something good.

Purlrose said...

Greetings from a fellow Garmin Chipotle team member. I am competing in the yellow jersey category.

Keep going with the socks, the finish is rapidly approaching!