Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Baby, it's Cold Outside...

...and I am more glad than ever of my fiber-lovin ways. I find it very comforting on some subconscious level to be making warm, fuzzy things when the temperatures drop. I don't know quite what to make of the weather we've been having; it was almost 70 degrees (21 C) on Saturday and today it's only 39 (3.8 C)! I've taken to keeping an extra jacket in my car in case I'm out somewhere and the weather has another absolutely crazed turn. There's already forecasts for flurries and for snow showers for later in the week, which reminds me, apparently we can get some vicious ice storms up here. I think I'll stock up on some basics like bottled water and such, in case we're without power. The odds are that we'll be fine, but since we had so many issues with keeping our power over the summer through the thunderstorms, I'd rather not risk it.

Jim and I had Saturday off together, and it was a wonderful day. We used to have Tuesdays off as our day to spend time together and relax, but our schedules are both too different for that now. I miss the ability to go out and have adventures and just explore together, and I made sure I wasn't working on Saturday. We woke up late, had a great breakfast, and headed down to Jersey to take a drive through the woods.

A huge tract of the pine barrens (about 1800 acres at the final estimate) burned a few weeks ago, and we wanted to explore and to see the damage. My family has been camping and driving and exploring in the pine barrens (so named because the soil is sandy and loose and good for pines, but not too many other types of trees) for as long as I can remember, and the section that was burned was our stomping grounds. We didn't see too much fire damage on the trail we took, and what we did see seemed pretty close to the ground. I was a little confused at first, looking around. The undersides of the higher branches were singed, but the tops were fine. It took a little while for me to realize that the tough groundcover must have been burning, but not the whole length of the trees. There was only one portion where a large group of trees were charred, and even then, there were fresh bunches of pine needles sprouting. It was encouraging to be reminded that even such a huge blaze can be healthy for a forest, and that nature comes back pretty quickly when it wants to.

Thanksgiving is only a week away, and I am excited to be going home for it. I love being out on my own, and having a home here in PA, but there's something so soothing about going back home to Jersey for holidays. Spending time with family and friends I don't normally see is all the more exciting and special. And, Momolla cooks! What more can a girl ask for from a holiday? I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the week, and that things to well and smoothly for you all.

5 comments:

Galad said...

You are having weird weather there! In Arizona we are just staying about 10 degrees above normal which means no fireplace for Thanksgiving.

Nicole is coming home for Thanksgiving too, though it may only be for one day. We are really looking forward to having her here.

Glad to hear the fire damage wasn't as severe as it might have been.

Take care and have a great holiday.

Rose Red said...

Oh, it gladdens the heart to see new growth after a bushfire. Although the bushfire itself is so devastating.

Hope you have a great thanksgiving

Bells said...

A Saturday drive through the woods sounds lovely, even if it is through fire affected woods.

I'm sure you're all going to have a fabulous thanksgiving. I'll look forward to reading about how it all goes.

Monique said...

We had bushfires at our place 7 years ago. It was crazy christmas. Over january the trees started to sprout their new growth. The green was so vibrant against the black char. It happens so quickly after the devastation.
Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Donna Lee said...

I'm looking forward to the holidays, too. There is something that is heartwarming about the small traditions and foods (can you say cranberry relish?)that makes me feel connected.

I've been afraid of driving through the woods. The last fire was devastating for a long time but come spring, the ferns and blueberry bushes will be back and stronger than ever.