Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving Thanks

Because by the time I get done work tomorrow, I won't be thankful for much of anything. And so, here it goes.

I am thankful for big, puffy clouds in a bright blue sky. I am thankful that I can pay rent. I am also thankful that I get to have dinner with my family on Thursday. I am thankful for the strong, beautiful women I am surrounded by, and for the strong, handsome men. I will forever be thankful for chocolate, and for hot tea with lots of sugar. I am thankful to be whole, and to be safe and loved.

I am thankful for my mother, who taught me to be strong and who shows me how to be compassionate and wise and to have fun. I am thankful for my father, who shows me that I have a sense of humor, and that you never have to actually grow up. And who lets me borrow his tools. I am thankful for my sisters, who teach me that I have some pretty killer DNA, and that there is always hope for us, and that we are never alone. I am thankful for my sisters of the heart, who love me completely without reservation, and who teach me about faith and love and art and joy. I am thankful for my man, who teaches me about being loyal and true and who takes such wonderful care of me, whether I like it or not. I am thankful for the internet, which has given me such a wide-spread group of friends. I am also thankful for those internet friends, who give me such a different perspective, who have taught me about generosity, and who share their lives with me so freely and graciously.

I am thankful for yarn, and that I have the time and ability to turn said yarn into something useful and (sometimes) attractive. I am thankful that I have all my limbs and that they are all in working order. I am thankful I live in a place where I have the freedom to go where I choose and to do as I please. I am thankful I have never known true hunger, true hate, and true loss. Mine is a charmed life, and I am grateful each day that it is so. I am grateful for the trees and for the sunlight and for the play of light off the water. I am thankful for the days when my alarm clock doesn't go off, because I hate that little bugger. I am thankful for each morning that I wake up next to the man I love, and each night I can fall asleep next to him. Even when he sneezes on my back at three am and I think I might have to kill him. I am thankful to live in a house full of people who like me, and who are willing to live with me without killing me or locking me in a closet every time I drive them nuts.

I probably bitch about my life much more than is really necessary. It's always easier to dwell on the negatives than to highlight the positives. But really, mine is a pretty good life, full of wonderful people, beautiful scenery, and plenty of yarn.

I hope, whether you celebrate or not, that this Thanksgiving is full of warmth and love and really awesome food. You will all be in my thoughts and my prayers, such as they are.

5 comments:

Rose Red said...

Awww, nice. Except the sneeze on the back!! Too funny.

Hope you have a most thankful thanksgiving!

Donna Lee said...

And I'm thankful for having a daughter who has shown me how to jump into a situation with both feet and try my best and not to be afraid of what others may think. For being a Mode woman in every sense of the word. And for being pretty darn cute in the process. I love you baby!

Monique said...

You are one lucky lucky girl Em. Happy Thanksgiving!

Galad said...

There is a lot to be thankful for this year despite the negativity surrounding us. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and eat lots of your mom's great cooking.

Bells said...

I've felt the back sneeze!! Very very annoying!

Lovely, lovely post. Happy thanksgiving to you and yours. The bit about sisters is so true.