Monday, August 10, 2009

Whew...

...putting in two full eight-hour shifts in a row after eight weeks of not doing very much of anything is exhausting! I'm actually glad my boss gave me today off, I get a day to recover and rest a little bit before I go back into the fray. I'm trying to take it a little easy on myself, and I spent yesterday cheating and sitting on a filing cabinet at some points. I'm also more vocal about needing a break. The hour spent sitting recharging is pretty important these days. I put my notice in on Saturday, and my boss was surprised but not at all upset. On the one hand, it's good, because the next eight days of work will be relatively peaceful. On the other hand, I had a whole speech saved up about how I don't owe her or the company anything and how terrible they've been to me. And, in all honesty, a small part of me was sort of hoping that there would be a confrontation and I would get to be all dramatic and leave and not serve out said two weeks (yup, i am a terrible, horrible person).

I meant to have a picture to put here for you guys, since I went to Atlantic City (trashiest boardwalk in america, i love it!) with one of my Jersey Girls. Sadly, though, my camera has decided that this life is not good enough for it. Whenever I turn it on, the lens comes out, whirls around and makes unhappy 'eeeehhhhhhhhhhh" noises and goes back into the camera, which then gives me a pretty white screen that tells me there is a lens error. I'm pretty unhappy because I have taken better care of that camera than pretty much anything else I own. I've had it since December, and there is not a scratch on it, it's been treated with love and respect and cherished. And the silly thing decided to turn around and break on me. Thankfully, Momolla has the receipt (it was a christmas gift) and I'm going to see about returning it or getting it fixed for free.

Yesterday was one of those days where things start going wrong and you think, 'well, it can't get a whole lot worse' and then things turn around and they do get worse. The details are long and ranting, and we'll just say that the day included a broken dryer, a little more throwing up, a pile of wet, stinking clothes, dealing with my mean boss, my car randomly leaking in the torrential downpours, attitude from Mike, angry customers, and staying late at work, all in no particular order. Since the discovery of Laslow-Mitford, I have tried very hard to embrace a philosphy of not sweating the small stuff, of not being bothered by things I can't control. Yesterday, my philosophy was put to the test rather hard. Mostly, I passed. By the end of the day, I just wanted a hug and a big piece of chocolate. But I wasn't as stressed and angry as I used to be when I came home, which is a very good thing.

In confirmation of my decision to keep Jim around for a good long while, he managed to figure out what the dryer needed to stop being broken. He also ordered the part, because there is not a single store in our area that carries belts for dryer motors. So by Friday, I should have a dryer again. As Momolla says, a man who can fix things is a gem. He even made dinner last night because I was tired. It was boxed mac and cheese, but that was exactly what I wanted. If I had asked for steak, he would have driven to the store to get that for me. I am a lucky woman, to have a man who takes such good care of me and who indulges me whenever he can.

There's not a lot of other news to report to you, guys. Since I'm just starting to get back on my feet and out of the house, there's not a lot going on yet, and I can only put so many navel-gazing posts up. Here's hoping that your week goes smoothly and easily, and that you don't have any major electronic or appliance issues.

6 comments:

Galad said...

Eight days and counting - Hurray!

Jim continues to earn brownie points and fixing the dryer should get him a whole sheet of brownie points :-)

Fingers crossed for dry clothes on Friday!

Rose Red said...

I had a whole ranting letter typed out in my head, ready for when I left my job. Of course, I never actually typed it, but gee I enjoyed composing it. That's the best part, really. So glad you didn't have a confrontation in reality!

Bells said...

i;m glad you've decided to keep Jim. He sounds nice!

I like your naval gazing posts. :-)

Donna Lee said...

Two down, twelve more to go and then the Boys are part of your history.

RoseRed is right. Just having that speech in your head is a help. Even if it never gets uttered out loud.

Good luck with the dryer belt. I don't know how many of those we've replaced over the years.....

Roxie said...

Jim is worth his weight in brownies! And your boss is worth her weight in chiggers. Poo on her.

It's HARD to get back into harness. It's gonna take the better part of a year to get all your resiliancy back, so cut yourselg great slack. Hugs!

Dianne said...

It's kind of too bad that you didn't get to have that confrontation with your boss... Oh well. Yay for Jim for diagnosing & fixing the dryer.