Monday, February 21, 2011

How To Make The Perfect Snow Angel

...because the blog needs a little lightness, and the last entry probably made you guys think I am sitting here writing emo poetry in my own tears or something (not to make too light of a really tough situation. i truly appreciate the love and support. jim and i are sorting through things as best we can). Also, the last of the massive piles of snow has finally melted, so I can think about snow without feeling like gnawing on my own hair in frustration. And my Aussie friends could probably use a bit of a respite from their heat.

Step 1: Bundle up! In this picture, I am wearing a hat, scarf, two pairs of pants, three shirts, stockings, wool socks, and I have chemical handwarmers inside my gloves. It was surprisingly warm that day, but I appreciated all the warmth nonetheless. And when you're flopping around in the snow, make sure everything is really well tucked in, so you don't have bits of snow sneaking in and melting on the back of your neck or your ankles or your wrists.




Step 2: Find some pristine snow to defile. Look for a nice big, flat, smooth expanse of snow that's just begging to be frolicked on. Maybe get a nice picture of how crisp and clean the snow looks before you roll around in it. Front yards are good if you want a high-profile snow angel, but they tend to have more traffic to contend with. Backyards tend to be peaceful and to have plenty of space.




Step 3: Flop! Yup, just spin to face the direction you want your feet in, then flop down on your back. You can leap a little if you really want to, but that might untuck all your bundling, so exercise caution. Once you've dug yourself into a nice little niche, spread your arms and legs out, then wave them up and down like you're doing jumping jacks or maybe spinning. When you think you're done, lay there and stare at the sky for a couple of minutes. If you're me, wonder what happened to your camera during all the flailing.



Step 4 (and the only tricky one): Stand up. First, sit up. Then, trying to lean as little as possible on your hands so they don't make any unsightly dents, stand up and take a big, long step away from your handiwork. Notice the smooth lines your flailing made and the way your excellent hat kept the snow off the back of your warm little neck. Feel good that you made this beautiful snow angel instead of shoveling your car out, since you have four wheel drive and some pretty good ground clearance.

And there you have it. Should you ever be presented with a situation where you must create the perfect snow angel on pain of pain, you will be well prepared. I hope you guys are all having lovely weather. We are getting more snow tonight, but it should only be a few inches.

15 comments:

Rose Red said...

So cool!
Don't think I'll ever be in a position to make a snow angel, since it really doesn't snow here, but if I am, well, I'll know how!

Donna Lee said...

That is one perfect snow angel. I was contemplating making one on my way to work this morning but I didn't want to carry all that snow with me on the train. maybe when I get home.....

Roxie said...

You are clearly an expert snow angeler! Hours of practice no doubt. If you have blue sky to savor, it's got to be a glorious experience. Thanks for sharing!

Robert said...

That is a beautiful Snow Angel. My youngest made her first snow angel this year. When she realized she could make them there were snow angels in the snow all around the house. Fun times.

Galad said...

Lovely!

cbeck said...

Living in Texas, I have only once had the opportunity in the last year to make a snow angel. Reading this makes me wish I had taken the chance and done it! But then, puppy likes to leave little surprises in the yard, and there would have been little preserving the "angelic" feel of the moment had we picked that spot.

In unrelated news: this is actually the second time the next blog button has brought me to your site this week. This is also the second time "next blog" has led me to a site with "Positive Thoughts" on it. That boy gets around! Oh well, hope you made some more of those during the recent cold snap!

Nguyễn Viết Công Hậu said...

So cool! I like snow. But in my country, it doesn't have snow. And making a snow angel is very funny!

Miss. Nae said...

I love snow angels! Everytime we have the first snow I promptly go outside to christen the fresh powder.

jadoo said...

oh my good i like it cool

Queenie said...

Passed by your blog by chance and love the way you write. I have become a follower. Ive recently restarted my blog maybe you could become a follow of mine too :)
Thanks. Queenie x
http://singergirl2010.blogspot.com/

puna story said...

what on earth am i here for?

puna story said...

Do you know Jesus?
if you don't know Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, please prayer. As you confess with your mouth and believe with be born again you will meet Jesus

puna story said...

Lord Jesus i need you in my life, i believe you are the Son of God and that you died on the cross for me. Please forgive me for my sins and create a clean heart in me. Renew my spirit so that i can hear in my hear your voice. I accept you as my Savior!! You are my Lord



!!puna story !!

visio2010sale said...

Use of various kinds of Office Visio 2010 chart can understand, operation and sharing the business enterprise inside organization system, the resources and the process of information. Visio 2010 download drawing and diagram production software helps to IT and business professionals easily visualization and analysis and communication complex information

dr dre headphones said...

Microsoft Office 2010 offers a flexible and powerful new ways to deliver you the best results of the work (in the office, at home or school). With Microsoft Office 2010 Key, regardless of how you work and where you work, all done in your control, you can get the job done and produce stunning results.