Sunday, October 14, 2007

Excuses, excuses...

Here I was, all set up and ready to finally put my money where my mouth is and post a bunch of pictures of my work, and wouldn't you know it, I grabbed the wrong adapter cable for hooking my camera up to my computer. Sometimes, I'm pretty dumb. Still, I will do my best to make sure that they are posted by the end of the week. I promise.

I gave the blanket of doom away today, at my friend's baby shower. It felt a little weird to see it go, it was such a big part of my days (and my nights) for so many months. But my friend seemed to like it, especially once I told her it was washable. Surely she didn't think I was crazy enough to spend months making something for a baby that's not baby friendly? I have some issues with reality, but even I realize that babies are gooey.

The socks....Oh, the socks. I think I've ripped them out and started again about five times now, and only two of them were intentional. Thankfully, I found the point protectors Momolla gave me, so perhaps they'll keep me from stabbing myself with eight or so tiny, tiny needles if I rip the damned thing out again. I've got about three, maybe four rows of ribbing done, which is nothing. But....BUT.... I figured out how to read the chart. Yay, me! I figured something basic and obvious out!

The scarves are moving right along. I think I knit about three feet on the two of them in the past two days. I was listening to a recorded book on my computer (must...fix....mp3 player....) and the knitting and the time just flew by. Mom's right, it's a great way to combine two things I love.

I have a question for your collective consideration. I'll be out on my own soon, and I will be very much on a budget, probably a very tight one. Is there a practical way to knit on a budget? I have low impulse control when it comes to buying things like, oh, yarn, and needles and such. Also, I need to build up my own collection of various sizes and types of needles, since all I really own are a pair of size six U.S. needles. On the bright side, I have roughly a metric fuckton of acrylic yarn to play with. I know, I know, it's acrylic. I was young, I was into crocheting. What can I say?

5 comments:

Rose Red said...

Oooh, out on your own - how exciting (and scary!). I'd try thrift stores and garage sales, especially for needles but you can also find good yarn (some people have no idea of the worth of a stash!). And a good Christmas and birthday wish list!

Donna Lee said...

Sometimes moms know what they're talking about, just sayin'. Thrift stores are good places, the goodwill store on the pike might be a good place to start. And you know how I love a good bargain. I'll keep my eye out for you.

Bells said...

Ebay has been very good to me in the past, financially speaking. Of course, not always. Sometimes I just have to have something and pay more than I should. But at times, it's good.

Have fun moving out! That's a great, exciting time of life.

Kate said...

I suggest a detailed Christmas list.

Georgie said...

Yup, all of the above - ebay, sales (especially online stores), thrift stores (in Aust "oppourtunity shops"), gift list for the more coveted items.

Yay for reading charts! Can't wait to see pics of the sock progress. Im up to my first heel!