Monday, June 9, 2008

A Lovely Weekend

In spite of the ridiculous heat. I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing how hot it suddenly is up here, but our temperatures jumped from the mid-60's to the high 90's in the span of two or three days. Nobody was prepared for this, and my goodness, EVERYone is miserable.

Nonetheless, this past weekend was lovely. Jim and I went to my sister Carolyn's wedding on Saturday, and managed to get there on time. I had to pull a Clark Kent maneuver and throw my dress and makeup on in the bathroom, since my boss is the devil and made me come into work for three hours so I could leave for the wedding. The ceremony was short (a methodist ceremony, i'm only familiar with catholic types. twenty-five minutes and everything was done. amazing! someone should tell the catholics about this stuff. my butt hardly had time to fall asleep), and the bride was radiant. Here's Carolyn and John, the lucky new husband, on the steps of the church. I love this picture, because Carolyn looks so thrilled. And the big princess dress fits her to a t.


The reception was held at Historic Prallsville Mill in New Jersey, and the venue was lovely. There was even some shade, thankfully, though the ladies of the party all ended up sinking into the soft ground at some point. Ladies' shoes are not meant to be worn on un-paved areas (i was the object of much jealousy. i switched my fabulous blue shoes out for some boring black flip-flops and was probably the happiest girl there). The food was wonderful, the dj friendly. All in all, it was a wonderful day, and I feel so blessed Carolyn asked me and Jim to be there. The wedding was very small, perhaps a hundred people, including the bridal party and so forth. Seems like a lot of people, but really, it seemed very intimate and sweet. Carolyn, if you ever read this, thank you. It was a pleasure to share in your day.

This is a picture of the Albright crew, as we're called, all the people who went to school with Carolyn. With the exception of the single male, everyone present was a sorority sister. I have never quite gotten the hang of looking good in group shots (or solo shots, let's not lie here), so I look rather dorky. But there I am in the black dress looking short and generally tiny (especially when compared to the young lady to the left of the bride. i tell you, she's built like an amazon. life is cruel, isn't it?) and you won't be able to notice, but the hair is much improved. Colleen chopped some layers into it for me Friday night, and now I at least look like an adult. (thanks so much for the support while i was freaking out. i feel silly, but a crappy haircut is really damaging to my fair, fragile flower of femininity psyche. stop that giggling, mom! it is!)

And, being the terrible blogger/photographer that I am, this is the only picture I have of me and Jim from the whole sweaty, sticky day. You'll have to trust me when I say that he cleans up extremely nicely (goodness, i love a man in a tie!), and that I wasn't looking too shabby, myself. I like to think Jim had a decent time, though he looked a little overwhelmed by my sisters at some points.



Saturday was a day of celebration and joy, but Sunday, my friends, was a day of bounty. It turns out that there is an alpaca farm in Cape May, NJ. This is not too terribly far from where Jim and I used to live, and he heard about it on the radio and suggested a trip down on our day off (no, you can't have him, he's all mine) even though Jim has no particular love of alpacas or of fiber.
And so, a plan was born. We were going to see the alpacas (or, if you're like me and are easily excited by large, fuzzy things of incomparable cuteness, the FUZZIES!), maybe wander the local boardwalk or see a movie, and then have dinner with my family. The day went pretty much according to plan, except for some unfortunate navigational maneuvers. Mostly, these weren't really our fault, as the road that the alpaca farm sits on is not marked on the main road. (there are no pictures of the fuzzies, i am a bad, bad little blogger and left my camera at home. however, this website has great pictures. fuzzies on the beach!) We finally found the place, and spent a while outside in the heat, watching the alpacas roaming. Goodness, they're cute! Even when they're laying in the dirt, they're cute. They try to roll over, and they get kind of stuck on their backs halfway over like a turtle and have to really heave themselves to finish the roll. Sooo cute!

And then, we saw the store. I bought Momolla and Kate some fleece, so as to share the wonder of the alpacas with them, minus the heat. None of us has ever carded a fleece before, so this should be an adventure. The woman who runs the shop is lovely, and gave me all kinds of information about the different fleeces and the animals they came off of, and she added me to her mailing list for when she has sales. And through it all, Jim was wonderful. He was certainly not sharing my joy in talking to a woman I'd never met before about how amazing alpacas are, but when we left, he nonetheless made a comment about the next time we go back (no, you can't have him. really. do you know how hard it is to find a man willing to drive for three hours and almost two hundred miles one way to indulge you?), and he even dutifully petted the fleeces.

This is the skein of yarn I bought, which is handpainted Paca Paints in Seaglass, just my colors, all wonderful blues and greens mixed with a tiny bit of gray. The colors are less muted than in this picture. (please ignore the shirt that the yarn is posed on. the white pep boys shirt contrasted much better than the bowel movement green of the couch) I think it shall be a lovely scarf, when I'm feeling up to touching yarn again.


And as if all that and a delicious steak dinner weren't enough, Dadumms made me sock blockers! I can now get rid of the ridiculously misshapen wire ones I made, and use these pretty wooden ones. And in true handcrafter's form, they're not quite finished yet. He's so good at this handmade gifts thing! Here they are posing with my fleece and my yarn, getting cozy together.


The picture here actually gives a good idea of the color the fleece I chose for myself is. It came off of Regalo, who is pretty new to the herd, and I do believe it is the softest, squishiest, most beautiful thing I have ever felt. It is just too lovely for words, and it will wait for me to get a wheel, I think, because this needs to be spun up properly. No placemats for this lot!

And that right there was a wonderful weekend, full of family and friends and food and love and fiber. And you know the best part? I got to spend a weekend with Jim, out and about having adventures. Sure, we were hot and sticky and not quite pleasant the whole time. But we got to bond, and spend more time together than it feels like we have in ages. And that, my friends was great. Welcome to the new week, I hope things to smoothly and sweetly for you all.

5 comments:

Galad said...

What an adventure with the fuzzies! The yarn is gorgeous and will make a lovely scarf when you schedule allows. Glad you and Jim had a good weekend.

Rose Red said...

Oh it does sound like a lovely weekend, well, except for the heat, but anyway.

I love the dress you wore to the wedding - very glam and looks great on you.

And the yarn. mmmmm, yarn. mmmm alpacky. Lovely.

Bells said...

oh for a second I was reading going, 'Sister? Sister? There's ANOTHER Wood sister? How did I miss that?' ha ha

When the heat comes all of a sudden in a big spike like that, it knocks everyone around.

How lovely to see a nice up close photo of you both oh and you look lovely in the black dress!

Donna Lee said...

I'm so glad that my frail fragile flower of femininity had a good weekend, despite the heat. And, yes, a partner that supports your hobbies (lifestyle?) is a wonderful thing and you should hold onto to him.

Kate said...

FUZZ. *loves the fuzz from a safe distance so it won't stick to her*