Saturday, September 6, 2008

So Close, no Matter How Far...

...couldn't be much more from the heart. Jim and I had dinner out last night to celebrate our third anniversary. It's hard for me to believe sometimes that it's already been three years, because when I see him, my heart still jumps a little. We've had your typical tough times and your typical good times, and some of both that I like to think are unique to us. And here we are. Still together, still a unit. I think that may be what amazes me most. We are more than just a couple, we're a team. We love each other, but we also respect one another. Like any two people in close proximity, we drive each other crazy. But somehow, we do it in an endearing way... Mostly. Jim is amused by my penchant for freezing or microwaving yarn when I sight suspicious winged insects, and his ability to re-invent the English language (he likes to take an accepted term like "socks" and turn it into something else, like "foot mittens") makes me giggle helplessly while my brain leaks out my ears.

I mention the strong women I'm surrounded by all the time, but maybe I don't give Jim his due. He is a strong man, a good man in a time when there aren't a whole lot of those left. When we first started dating, I didn't think we'd last more than a few months--we have a lot of differences. I thought we'd end up as something light and simple and fun. And somehow, that tricky guy made me fall in love with him. He's the most amazing mixture of practicality and heartbreaking sweetness. He is strong and funny and smart and punctual (even under my influence) and generally amazing. I know without doubt there is nothing he wouldn't do for me, and he knows that devotion is returned. Simply put, we're stronger together than apart. And it doesn't hurt that he's cute, too.

And here I will leave you, before things get too mushy. We're dealing with a tropical storm today, so I hope your weather is better than ours, at least, and that the weekend is peaceful.

6 comments:

Galad said...

Congratulations on three years together. That in itself is quite an accomplishment and says a lot about the strength of your relationship.

Glad you found someone wonderful!

Georgie said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! You two are pretty good together and I hope you go from strength to strength.

Bells said...

What a lovely and loving tribute. Congrats! It's wonderful to read about such a good thing.

Donna Lee said...

Three years already? It's a satisfying feeling to see your children happy and know that they know how to make themselves happy. Respect and friendship are two of the most important things in a relationship. I don't know how people live together without them.

Rose Red said...

Congratulations! Sounds like you complement each other in a fantastic way. Hope to see many more anniversaries!

Eric from Oregon said...

I like your blog. Interesting. Holds my attention thats for sure.

I also like Metallica Nothing Else Matters...song. I am thinking you do as well. pretty isnt it.

you write well. Enjoy the rest of this New Year!