Sunday, May 4, 2008

Rumors of my demise...

...have, of course, been greatly exaggerated. My work schedule has been what could charitably be called erratic. As such, my sleeping, eating, and free time schedules have also been erratic. And well, I've been tired. A tired Emily does not make for good blogging. Granted, an energized Emily tends to make sketchy blogging at best. But a tired Emily makes for particularly sketchy blogging.

There has been precious little knitting here (there's been precious little anything), since my revised routine is to wake up, take a shower, head off to work, train our latest new guy (though I'm only half-trained at best, myself), come home, eat something, and go to sleep. Dreadfully exciting, I know.

The new computer and I are continuing to get along well, thankfully. Even Dadumms approves of my new baby. My personal favorite part of this whole having my own computer thing is that I can sit in bed and listen to books while I knit, I can read blogs, I can browse the interwebs. Life with my new technology is good.

The bribe sock has been frogged and re-started. It's slow going, because of the whole crazy-schedule-not-doing-anything-fun thing. But I have faith that by next winter, I will have a whole pair. Okay, maybe next spring. But there will be a pair of socks. Eventually...

Two of my sisters of the heart are graduating college in the next few weeks. I have known both of these women for, oh, fifteen or sixteen years. Amy and Kely are two of my favorite people ever. We don't talk as much as we used to, we're a little scattered now. But there's something about our friendship that's like your favorite pair of sneakers. You may not wear them all the time, but when you put them back on again, they're a perfect fit.

Kely is quite possibly the best person I know. She's getting her nursing degree this year, and she plans to spend a few months in Africa, teaching English and helping. That's what Kely does, she helps. Rather than talking about making a difference or changing the world, she just does it. She flew out to New Orleans on her spring break after Hurrican Katrina and volunteered with Habitat for Humanity. She's smart, she's beautiful, she's sweet and friendly and patient and has a kind of quiet, unassuming faith that I can only admire. She's the kind of person that, if she weren't your friend, you may just have to hate because she is just that good. And yet, she's got a sense of humor, she's compassionate, and she's human. When I think of what I want to be when I grow up, I think of Kely. There are not enough good words for her. Kely has hopes of saving my pagan, doubting soul, she keeps bringing me to Take a Sinner to Church Nights(ever been to one? they're fun, sometimes. and sometimes, somebody looks you in the eye and tells you that you're wrong, just because you don't believe what they do) at her church, hoping it will rub off on me. And in spite of, or maybe because of, the fact that the religion hasn't taken, we have wonderful debates about philosophy and religion and god and the nature of humanity.

And Amy is the one person in the world that I feel like I can say anything to without being judged. She and I have been through a lot together, and if there is anyone in this world that I know unquestionably will love me no matter what, it is her. And the cool thing is, she knows that I return the favor. We can talk on the phone for hours, and we can stay at the local diner nursing a cup of coffee doing the same. She collects funny quotes from her friends (WD-40, tap it like it's rusty!) and writes them down in a book. She's artistic and though she's smart, she works very hard for the good grades she manages to get. Amy is beautiful, in every sense of the word. She was a ballerina up until high school, when she decided to give her art up to have more of a social life. Amy will be getting a communications degree, and I expect her to do on and write wonderful books when she's ready to share them with the world. She's kind and friendly and warm and one of the most genuine people that I know. She's not at all afraid to be who she is and what she is.

These are two of the strong, wonderful women that I've been surrounded with growing up. Looking at it now, I realize that there are a number of extraordinary women that have played a part in my life. It has been a pleasure to grow up with these two, and it warms my heart to know that one day, we will be three old ladies sitting on a porch in our rockers somewhere. Knowing them, loving them, has made me who I am today. Well, okay. They're responsible for the good parts, anyway. There's a small group of us who, growing up, have always felt like a little family, through childhood and adolescence, and now into adulthood. I'll share some stories about the rest of us some other time, but for now, I think it just may be time for me to get to bed. If you'd like to share, though, I'd love to hear about the strong women in your lives.

7 comments:

Rose Red said...

Nice to see you again! I've got a couple of great women friends like that - no matter how long it's been since you've seen or spoken to them, it's all good when you do get together. I love that.

Donna Lee said...

You forgot to mention yourself as a strong woman (Wood Woman!). I admire you so very much. Talk about lemons from lemonade, you took a life that wasn't exactly what you wanted and reset your goals and now you are on your own track.

Galad said...

It is good to have you back. Being too busy to knit or blog is not a good thing. Hopefully there was still some reading time in there.

I know many strong women who have taught me about making the best of what life hits you with and keeping centered.

P.S.I showed my daughter your beautiful shoes on the blog and she is oh so jealous.

Georgie said...

You are lucky indeed to have found such wonderful strong constant friends! Those forever-friends are so important.

Hang in there - hope it all settles down...sometime....

Bells said...

Was wondering where the Great Em was...found you!

Friends. what a lovely tribute. They're so important.

Galad said...

Em - in response to your question about knitting inside out - you hold the needles with the working needle as the left side of the triangle (using three needles) instead of the one closest to you. That is what happens when you look at pictures on the internet for direction (and are a beginning sock knitter).

Kate said...

Your friends always interested me hugely. And I still remember Kely praying for me--I felt so honored! And Amy is just... Amy. Haha, you're lucky to have them and they are even more lucky to have you. Tell Kely I said congratulations!