Friday, August 15, 2008

Another Ditch in the Road...

...you keep movin'*. Still not much to report on, except that I've started working with an employment agency to find a job. There's a straight-up secretarial gig that looks pretty promising. It sounds like lots of filing, copying, and answering phones. It's a first-shift gig for a little more than I'm making now, though it's a little farther away. It's got set hours, and it sounds divine. Jim asked if I would be bored, being what amounts to a secretary. I gave him an emphatic no. After six or so years of customer service, this will be far from boring. In fact, a nice, stable job with regular hours and obvious goals sounds perfect.

In knitting news, I'm still plugging away at...almost everything I've got on the needles. Something Momolla said in her most recent post made me stop and take stock of what I've got going on with my projects. There are a few more than I'd thought. I have the TDF socks, the bribe sock, the sock that shall not be named, the boss baby blanket (yup, that one is still not done), and the one-row scarf all in progress. That's a lot of relatively small things that need to get finished. So, I have a plan. It is this: I will finish my TDF socks first, since I'm probably the farthest from being done those, then finish the bribe sock. After that, it'll be all bbb, all the time. Once those are all settled, the socks from hell and i will have a discussion and see if perhaps we can work something out. And while all that is going on, I will be using the one-row scarf to fill in any gaps (you know how it is, sometimes you just need a bit of a break from whatever you're working on.). Once everything (except maybe the socks that shall not be named) is handled, I will be free to start something more exciting. Or at least, something different. It'll feel good to finish up a passel of knitted things, and maybe once I have a real, regular schedule I can knit on, say, the weekends, and squeeze more time in.

In other other news, I'm aiming to be that smug person who has everything for the holiday season under control (you know, the one who has a schedule and follows it and is done the shopping and the wrapping and the decorating and the baking early and just sits back and enjoys watching other people {dadumms} struggle with the last minute stuff. i hate those smug people) this year. To achieve that aim, I've already started my Christmas shopping. I'm buying the small, less specialized bits and pieces now, so that when December rolls around, I'm not stuck looking at my bank account balance thinking "well, if I compromise and get everyone something for ten dollars, I'll be just over budget." I'm also building up my Christmas list of the larger, more fun things that aren't likely to be purchased by the recipients in the next four months. I figure in November, I'll start collecting recipes and decorations, so that come December, we can buy a tree and some holly and have the house look all festive. My goal is to have a happy, relaxed holiday, without all the crazy hassle and insane lack of money of years past. And it just might work. If I don't go shooting my mouth off and alert the domestic gods that this is my plan. It has to look incidental, or life will boot me in the ass. So yeah, that's the brilliant plan. I've already figured where we'll put the tree (it has to be huge) and Coll and I have some ideas for decorations already.

The boys? They think it's too early to think about Christmas. I, on the other hand, can already smell autumn in the air some mornings, and see the summer winding down. That makes me a little sad, but the span of time from October through to January is my favorite part of the year, so I'm not all that heartbroken. So I'm anticipating things a little this year. I'm not sure how the holidays will work in terms of spending time with my family here and spending time with my family in Jersey. But I think it will work itself out somehow. That part, I'm not worried about.

Anyway, off to work to go daydream about putting my notice in and leaving. Hope your weekend is wonderful!

4 comments:

Donna Lee said...

Good luck with the job. It may be a tad boring but you won't smell like tires.....and maybe they'll let you read/knit during down times. It could be a good thing. The holidays creep up so fast no matter how well you plan. Good luck with keeping it all in line. Just remember, it is only one day and memories are made all the time not just on the 25th of Dec.

Galad said...

Keeping my fingers crossed on the job. Sounds like you've got a good plan for the holidays. I love the fall but we don't have much of one here. By the time it is cool enough, it is Thanksgiving! I started picking up a few small things for presents and have yarn purchased for a couple of knitting projects. It's good to have goals :-)

Rose Red said...

Fingers crossed for you on the job - I think your customer service experience will be useful for it as well and hopefully it will be a nice office with nice people.

Kate said...

Good luck with your employment opportunities! I'm having issues getting my job back at borders--mainly because I can't get to where I need to have my interview.