Friday, September 4, 2009

It's Amazing...

...what a dramatic reduction of stress will do for you. Since I've started the great new job, I have been less frazzled and moody and stressed and angry for no reason. My skin has cleared up (really cleared up, not just relatively-clear-for-me-cleared-up), my hair is softer, and I can actually sleep at night.

That's not to say that it's not stressful, or that it's not work; believe me, it is. But, it's work I can do and then leave here at the end of the day. And I've actually been trained, and there's almost always someone around to answer a question. On the rare occasion that there isn't, and I make a judgment call, if I screw it up, nobody yells. They tell me how to do it better next time and then move on. It's a beautiful thing. And, since customer service is something I am vastly familiar with, it's been pretty easy to slip into the pattern here. I'm trying to learn what I can about the many intricacies of Mustangs, but at this point, all I can do is pick up bits and bobs as I go.

The new schedule has been lovely, too. Granted, I get worn out by Friday. But having two days in a row off is liberating. And we get home and I'm able to do things if I'm motivated enough, so I'm slowly reclaiming the house from the filth and grime that have crept in over the last several months. The house isn't (and, who am i kidding, never will be) perfect, but I'd like to keep it at a level of clean where if I were to have an unexpected visitor, I wouldn't be ashamed. It's a process, and I'm not getting as much help as I would like, but I have come to realize that my choices in this matter are to a)buckle down, clean like a fiend for a few weeks, and then maintain the cleanliness and feel put-upon b) bully, cry, and nag the people I live with into cleaning and pulling their own weight, creating a less-than optimal cleanliness level and large amounts of tension or c)live with the frustration, anger, and guilt that come from having such a pretty house be so gross all the time while we all sit around and moan about how gross it is. It bugs me, but really the first one is the only viable option if I want to stay remotely sane and not be lynched by my housemates. And so, the cleaning goes. And will continue, until I'm comfortable in my home again.

On the crafting front, I am pleased to report that I haven't given up the sticks entirely and moved on. I've been spinning and knitting, albeit slowly. I am working on a Forest Canopy shawl for a friend, having given up on the Adamas pattern. I like it quite a bit, but I wasn't able to get things to add up properly. And my great and mighty stubbornnes has limits. I will only slam my head against a brick wall so many times before I go and look for a new, softer wall to abuse. So the switch has been made, and things are coming along rather well. Turns out I'm not as slow at knitting as I thought, when I set aside the time to knit something. Since I can't knit a pattern and hold a conversation, I've been shutting myself away in the bedroom last night to make sure that I get a certain amount of knitting done each week. The date that I plan to give this shawl away is fast approaching, and I don't want to be standing around with a half-finished shawl.

As far as the spinning goes, I'm finally having some luck with some gorgeous merino. It's dyed in colors that remind me of a sunset, a deep deep scarlet and a dark, hazy blue and a dusky gold color. I'm feeling really proud of myself on this one, and I'm looking forward to spinning up the last of my singles tonight and plying it over the weekend. It'll be a two-ounce skein, probably about a fingering weight. I'm too busy enjoying the colors and the process of spinning to worry about what I'll make with it yet.

That's all the news I have for you today, darlings. It's time to go have lunch. I hope your weekend is sunny and glorious!

6 comments:

Bells said...

oh i loved making Forest Canopy and plan to make more. It's a good pattern. I think it's easier than Adamas which I found a wee bit tedious.

All sound good Em. You sound upbeat, on top of things and a bit settled. I was just thinking of you recently, about how you are with everything now that the drama is over and you're just recovering. It must be a strange space to be in, but a good one. How are your wounds? What's the scarring like?

Roxie said...

Hooray for the new job!! Hooray for spinning and knitting! Screw the housework. It never ends, and gross is just a matter of perspective. Things would be a lot dirtier if you were camping, and you LIKE camping.

Galad said...

You do sound up and life is good. I am so happy for you that the new job is working out.

Take the dirty house a little at a time. Do what you can and try not to stress. I've always that a clean house was a sign of too little reading going on :-)

Donna Lee said...

A clean house is the sign of a person who has too much time on their hands and too little imagination.

Rose Red said...

I'm so glad that the job is going well and is so much less stressful for you, that's fantastic.

As for cleaning - I'd go with option A (but don't wear yourself out) - it is nice to have the house clean(ish) but as others have already said, don't forget about the other more important things, like knitting, relaxation and spending time with the people who are most important to you!

Kate said...

Cleaning is for sissies that can't wade through mountains of dirty clothes. But I see what you mean. Good luck with the shawl!