Monday, May 4, 2009

At Least it Sounds Sexy...

...it being the sadly mis-named alien lung baby. Yes, friends, the alien lung baby is actually an alien spine baby. Laslow-Mitford is something called a schwannoma, which is a growth of the cells that make up the myelin sheath, which has something to do with nerves. I'm waiting to hear more from my doctor, so I don't have a very technical grasp of it yet, but this is good news. Very good news. Schwannomas are generally treated with surgery, at the worst I'll be looking at brief general radiation treatments.

Full post when I know more, which should be later tonight or tomorrow. I just wanted to keep you guys all updated. Jim, Coll, and I are heading out to have some ice cream to celebrate. Finally, a conclusion!

8 comments:

Rose Red said...

Ya know, I would've thought that was just a made up word!! Thank goodness! Have an ice cream for me too! (it's a bit cold here!)

Bells said...

I feel like it's something where a person might say, 'and would you like fries with that?' I don't know why.

And the response would be, 'no, but I'd like it to be gone now.'

Who knew there was even such a thing? I certainly didn't. Huge relief, Em. Huge, massive relief. Surgery will suck but hey, it's better than some of the other options that were on offer before now.

Hope you enjoyed the icecream!

Galad said...

Glad that the waiting is over and that the news isn't awful. Obviously "it disappeared and there is no surgery" would be great, but given the potential options just getting that sucker out is good.

Hope all will be over soon and you can get back to normal life.

Olivia said...

I'm so happy and relieved for you. Will continue to concentrate on good vibes for the surgery and a nice quick recovery.

Dianne said...

Schwannoma? Gesundheit! Hehehe. Excellent news! Truly excellent! I'm doing a dance of joy for you!

Roxie said...

I'm thinking of Barbara Streisand in Funny Girl. ". . . I'm all over fluffy white. I vouldn't peck at you or bite, and I have lovely little feet to dance upon. I'm a schwann."

So, who's the father of Laslow-Mitford? You been boinking mit der schwanns?

Enjoy that icecream!

teabird said...

I'm so happy and relieved for you!

Monique said...

This is great news Em. The end is nigh. Be gone with you spine baby.

Monique