Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Moving Out, Moving On

It's official, Jim and I are finally getting a place together. Of course, it's us, and we can't do anything the easy way, so we're also bringing a friend, and we're moving to PA.

Jim and Burns were both accepted into Univeral Technical Institute, the holy grail of gearhead academies, and will be starting January 28th (we're moving sometime between December and January). UTI is in Exton, PA, and I have to say, it's impressive. My favorite part was that they have Gojo in the bathroom. I can definitely feel at home anywhere they feel the need to put industrial strength, pumice-laden hand soap in the bathrooms. Anyway, Jim and Mike are in, and now comes the easy part (by easy I mean scary and hard), which is finding us all jobs and a place to live. Right now, I seem to be the one doing most of the work and the research at least as far as living quarters go, but then, I'm nuts excited about this. I need to move forward, and I need to feel like I'm taking control of my life and not just sitting back and passively letting things happen to me. I'm not going to school...yet. But I will be continuing to make payments on my loans as I'm living up there. Jim's and my secret evil plan is for him to get through school (he'll graduate in a little under two years), find a good job, and for me to then go back to school and only work part time, or less full time, once he can take over more of the bills.

In other news, The Manager From Hell is leaving us. He's been transferred to our store in Williamstown. Instead, we're getting a woman who is, by all accounts weird, and also married to one of the local district managers. It can't get much more awkward than that, now can it? Still, I'll only be there for a few months, I can stick it out until it's time for me to move.

Tons of progress on the blanket I never quite managed to finish for the tdf kal, I have corners! It seems to be moving much more quickly in the decrease phase, but I'm sure that's only because I'm crazy and grateful to have moved past the knitting black hole I was stuck in for so long. I think the one thing I'm not looking forward to about moving is that I probably won't be able to afford much yarn, so I don't think there will be a lot of knitting. Eh, I'm sure I'll figure something out. In other wool-related news, I found a patter for a sweater for me. It's a great three-quarter sleeve, scoop neck sweater that I will be making out of some lovely yarn my mom and I got at a steep discount at last year's knitting expo.

That's all for now, but I'll update as I have things worth talking about.

2 comments:

Georgie said...

Hi Em - welcome to blogland.

The Big Move sounds scary and exciting (btw - how far is it exaclty? Im an Aussie remeber, US geography not my strong suit! Ummm, PA would be....?). Good luck finding new work.

Yay for new managers, and getting rid of the From Hell variety. the new one cant be as bad, can she?

Sounds lie the baby blankie is coming along well - will you have enough yarn? You'll just have to knit faster so you finish before it runs out!

Em said...

PA equals Pennsylvania, it's the next state over from beautiful New Jersey, it's about thirty miles, at a guess (geography in general is not my strong point!). It's exciting to be moving forward, and to be moving back into my own place.

I bought a third ball of yarn, and I am trying to knit fast, as even that is diminishing quickly. I knew I should've made a swatch to placate the gods!