Thursday, March 12, 2009

It's benign!

I didn't want to make anyone wait any longer than they had to for news. I'm home from the doctor's now and I feel like I can actually take a deep breath for the first time in a month. It feels somehow like all of my muscles have all unclenched and relaxed all at once. This might just be the best feeling ever.

Okay, so the medical details. Laslow-Mitford is most probably a benign fibrous tumor of the pleura, but there is a chance that it's a low-grade synovial cell sarcoma. That requires a genetic test to determine, which will take a couple of weeks to sort out. Apparently, the treatment is the same either way--removal. I am so onboard with removal! So we are running full-steam ahead with the removal plan. I contacted Dr. Metz, my cousin's best friend's dad from last post, and he is going to put me in touch with a surgeon. There is a chance that part of my lung may have to come out, and we're not at all sure if that lung will ever recover and get back to full capacity. Once this is all over, I'm going to make sure I start exercising regularly, I want that capacity back!

So, the worst is over. The fear and the stabbity bits are all done, and now we just worry about the surgery. For that, they will have to put me to sleep. Totally non-negotiable. If they won't, I have a friend with a hacksaw and a shop-vac, we can do this ourselves. I want to thank you all again for the warmth and the kindness and the comfort you've given me. Every comment, every facebook post, every e-mail has been appreciated. I think the greatest comfort through this past month (i can't believe it, but it's a month almost to the day. worst. month. ever.) has been knowing that I am not alone, and that there are people spanning the country and even the globe who care enough to say so and to support me. Thank you all for being on this long, scary ride with me. It's not quite over yet, but we've made it through the worst bits. I can truthfully say I couldn't have made it through with my sanity incact without you all. And now, I think it's time to go celebrate!

11 comments:

Dianne said...

Excellent News!!! The best news in the world!!! I've had your blog up on my screen all day and have been hitting "reload current page" every 10 minutes or so. I am so very thankful that the pesky alien baby is benign and he is on his way OUT! I hope it can be scheduled for very, very soon! Thousands of hugs to you and Jim and your whole family.

Galad said...

I already posted on your Facebook but will add here for good measure.

Great news!

Maybe it is time to start playing woodwinds again :-)

Bells said...

Em, I'm all choked up with happiness for you and Jim and your family. Best news ever. Big, excited hugs for you. The surgery is not going to be a blast but I suspect that's not really the issue. Goodbye Laslow-Mitford!

Rose Red said...

It was with a lot of trepidation that I clicked on your blog in googlereader today - I wasn't sure I was prepared (gosh, how you must have been feeling). Such a HUGE sigh of relief. I'm so so glad it such good news. Hope you had a fabulous celebration! I'll have a drink for you tonight too.

Julie said...

Definitely celebrate. A lot. A whole lot. SO glad to hear your news, what a relief to you and all your loved ones.

WHEW.

If you are interested and have any questions, feel free to e-mail me about pain control issues during your surgery. I've got ten years in the trenches, so I might be able to answer questions, if you have any. JTheaker AT sc.rr.com

Otherwise, yes, enjoy that 'whew' feeling, and hang in there. Hugs!

Olivia said...

I am SOOOOOO glad to read this news. YAY! benign. YAY!

Monique said...

Great news em.Could not be happier for you.

Donna Lee said...

Ok. I can breathe again.

Roxie said...

Yayyy! Benign is the most beautiful word in the language! Now we start praying for a safe surgery and a quick recuperation. Kindly nurses, deft surgeons and an anesthesiologist who is an artist at his trade.

teabird said...

I couldn't be happier or more relieved for you and your mother - so glad!

Georgie said...

Ive been away all week, but thinking of you and now I'm so happy and relieved at your news Em, for you and Jim and everyone. Big, fat YAY!