Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ya Gotta Have Friends...

...to make the day last long. More importantly, to knit you things and remind you that there is humor in every situation. A couple of weeks ago, Roxie offered to knit me a shawl and I cheerfully accepted. Who am I to turn down offers of knitted love? And so I've been keeping an eye out for a package and making Jim listen for the mail and for a knock on the door whenever I'm not home. Yesterday, a great big box arrived (pictures tomorrowish, i have to re-charge my camera. the wait will be worth it, it's a big box of awesome!). There were tons of presents in there! Tons!

Naturally, there was the shawl for me. It's beautiful. Roxie also tucked a couple of books in the package for me, the first two of her wonderful Sanna books. If you haven't read them, you should. I am always hesitant to recommend books for other people, I have such broad tastes. But these books are absorbing and easily some of the best written fiction I have ever read, ever. Seriously good books, delicious reading. I started with the third one and couldn't put it down 'til I'd read it through. And then I wanted there to be more. I'm halfway through the first one now, and I am loving every page.

In her infinite Kindness, Roxie also sent a sweater for the alien baby. It's purple, and has eight or ten arms on it. I laughed hysterically when I opened that one. Roxie noted that if I decided not to keep the alien baby, it would make a whimsical hat. And I might just need that. See, I saw the surgeon today. He told me a rather different version of things from the last doctor. The probability is still that this thing is a benign fibrous tumor (recover time on this surgery will be weeks. weeks! damn.) but if it turns out to be synnovial cell sarcoma, I will need chemo and radiation. This will hopefully shrink it, but it will also kill any cancer cells floating around in the fluid around my lungs. If it's cancer, then we're also looking at removing anything that this is touching, which could be quite a lot, and bumps the recovery time up quite a bit. So, I'm trying to think positive and I'm also gearing up for war. We won't know for a few more weeks, we're still waiting for genetic tests to confirm this and let us know if it'll respond well to chemo. More breath-holding and finger-crossing, though to a lesser degree. As always, I'll keep you guys posted.

Here's hoping the rest of your week goes smoothly and quickly and that it's filled with wonderful surprises.

9 comments:

Roxie said...

Oh, what goes around comes around. I'm proctoring finals right now and the angst is SOOOOO high. You put this all in perspective. Thank you,dear. And thank you ever so for your praises!!

And if you need chemo caps, I'll knit you some lovely rayon ones. Much softer.

Galad said...

Hurray for Roxie and her box of hugs. The alien baby sweater sounds too funny and definitely requires a photo.

Continuing to keep fingers crossed for positive test results. Hang in there!

teabird said...

Must.see.photo.of.sweater.

(fingers really, really, really crossed...)

SwissKnits! said...

Prayers for you... and thank you for sharing what you are going through... it's an education for all of us.
Hugs

And Cheers to Roxie!! :)

Galad's gallant daughter said...

Hopefully they'll be able to leave your lung mostly intact. When you get right down to it I guess size really does matter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. And I fourth the request for alien baby sweater photo.

Bells said...

you know I'm sure the alien baby is going to look cuter in that sweater OUT of you rather than IN. Enough already!!!

This does all rather go on doesn't it? Grrr

Rose Red said...

Yes! Must see photos!! of all goodies but most especially baby sweater and shawl!

Mmm, weeks of recovery time - think of all the knitting you'll be able to do (I hope...)

Monique said...

Oh can't wait to see what is on the box. What a lovely friend you have in Roxy.

Dianne said...

I can't wait to see the pictures! Weeks of recovery - ugh. Lots of knitting time, though, right? The waiting, wiating, waiting is awful. I'm sending lots of good vibes your way and a big hug, too.