Saturday, March 7, 2009

No News

...is good news, right? Right. At least for now. Still no biopsy results. I swear, if they didn't get enough of a sample, the good doctor can just guess. As long as the alien baby comes out, we're good. At least the only thing left is a PET scan, which Momolla informs me will make me glow in the dark for a few days (they'll inject me with radioactive stuff. well, i only live a couple of miles from the nuclear plant, so i guess it's no worse than usual) but that's just an injection. I can totally take an injection. I meet with the radiologist on the 12th to see what the alien baby is, so I will let you guys know as soon as I do.

But let's not dwell on the unknown and the fear right now, eh? More than ever, I've been trying to concentrate on the divine in the chaos, the moments of grace. I got rather an extended one this Thursday. Through the last three weeks (is it only three weeks? gods, it feels like forever), Jim has been my constant source of strength and humor. I'm reminded why I love him so much about seventy-five times a day. Even though he's spent practically all his waking time with me or taking care of me or listening to me talk, he still wants to spend time with me. In fact, he still wanted to go on a date. So, naturally, we did. We didn't go to a fancy dinner, we didn't get dressed up. But after we'd come home and showered and napped after the MRI (i always get the crack-of-dawn appointments. insult to injury) we headed out to the Philadelphia Premium Outlets, a kind of outdoor mall full of, what else, designer outlets. The weather was warm and mild and the sun was out and we were able to people watch (one of our favorite hobbies together) and have lunch. It was nothing momentous or special or even really exciting. But for a couple of hours, we got to be just be. We weren't going to any appointments, we weren't talking about Laslow-Mitford, we were just wandering around, looking at all the "cheap" stuff that was still much too expensive and making fun of people for buying the ugly overstock that ended up in the outlet for a reason. Or for wearing ugly shoes. Or just because they were there. And we got a ton of free samples in the candy shop (we ended up getting a second round when we went back in to actually buy some. score!) from the nice ladies therein. All in all, it was a lovely afternoon. It was nice to get to spend even a part of a day off doing something fun and positive and relaxing.

There's actually been less knitting lately, since I've been spending some time sleeping and more time at work. But eventually, I'll finish something worth posting. And then we can pretend like this is a real knitting blog or something. I hope the rest of your weekend is warm and relaxing and that you find a moment of grace to hold onto when you need it.

6 comments:

Rose Red said...

Your day with Jim sounds perfect! My weekend is almost over, and it's raining - a nice light end of summer rain. Hope yours has been good too.

Donna Lee said...

Carpe diem (God is a carp,or so my college roomate told me). It sounds like you carpe diem'ed real good. You have to take those days when then come because you never know whtn the next one will come along. L-M takes up a large part of your consciousness but he/she is not who or what you are. It's good to hear that you were able to just go out and be you for a while.

Roxie said...

Jim is a gem! And what a wonderful way to spend some time together. Very wise to get out in the fresh air and away from it all. (You have to wonder - do some of these people even OWN a mirror? What is with the pajama bottoms in public thing? EeeeWWWWW! Time for fashion intervention.)

Galad said...

What a lovely day together! Glad you made the time to do something fun.

Kate said...

People watching is fun! I quite enjoy it as well. I'm glad you got a little time off to be yourself with Jim. Time spent only for yourself is a precious commodity, one which I think everyone in the world could use a little more of.

Dianne said...

It sounds like that lovely afternoon is exactly what you needed. Jim sounds like such a great guy!