Sunday, November 11, 2007

Because it's that time of year...

I complain. I'm a normal person, and some days, I think I have it pretty rough. But, well, it's the time of year to stop and be thankful, right? And today, I realized that I take a lot for granted.

When I was at work last night, I talked with a woman named Miriam. She's a grandmother, and she was telling me about her granddaughter, who was bopping in and out of the store. Her daughter, the granddaughter's mom, had been laid off the day before. A month ago, the granddaughter's father dropped dead, they still don't know what killed him. Now the mother has no job and no child support payments, and it's coming up on Thanksgiving and Christmas. This child has no dad and her mom has no place to work.

Today at work, I helped a woman who actually knew how to install her own wiper blades. I only saw one of her hands, but I didn't think anything of it when she left. She came back in to ask for a little help, and I noticed that one hand had no fingers. As a musician, and a knitter, and just a person, this scared the hell out of me. I showed the woman how to put her wiper on, and she hurried into her car and drove off. I think she saw me look at her hand, and was embarrassed or angry or something.

So, today, I am thankful. I am thankful that both of my parents have jobs and are alive and are still married to each other. I am thankful that I have all of my limbs and that they are all in working order. I am thankful that I have a job, and people who love and support me. I am thankful that Ashley, my friend in Iraq is okay. I am thankful that my car mostly works. I am so thankful for the trees and the sunshine and the deep peace of the woods. I am thankful for sheep. I am especially thankful for chocolate. And for shiny, pretty things. I am thankful for almost every breath I draw in. Fresh-baked bread is pretty good, and so are cats that like to sit in your lap in the winter, and warm, fuzzy socks fresh out of the dryer. Roses are nice, and so are most other flowers. Music, well, music I am more than thankful for. I am thankful for those moments that seem to be made of crystal, they're so perfect and clear. I am thankful for blue jeans that don't make me look even shorter. I am thankful for the first sip of coffee, and the last. I am thankful I could watch the sun rise, if I felt like being awake so darned early, and that I get to see the sun set from work almost every day. I am thankful I can breathe and run and scream and giggle and be silly. I am thankful for waiters who give me free pie, whether they're just trying to get my number or not. I am thankful for the internet, which gives me so many new people to meet and be friends with.

Your turn. What are you thankful for?

3 comments:

Rose Red said...

What a great post - I am grateful for all of these things too, and more.

Georgie said...

Great post Em. It is a wondrous thing to stop for a moment and take stock.

Donna Lee said...

You make me so proud. I am thankful for you and our family. Without you all, I am nothing.