Friday, December 14, 2007

This is What I Get....

...for asking if things could be more frustrating. The answer to that question, of course, is always yes. And viola, they have! We are now houseless. The landlord didn't make the repairs laid out in the lease. We found out today when Mike and Jim went up to handle the paperwork. The door to one of the bedrooms is still broken (it looks like somebody kicked the door in), and the sump pump is so far gone that it's actually pumping water into the basement. Mike can't live in a basement with a few inches of water, for obvious reasons. So, in light of all this, and after much heartfelt discussion and many creative swearwords, our intrepid group has decided to take our chances with a landlord who doesn't suck and keeps his word and follows the lease. This doesn't exactly leave us much time to find a home, as Jim and Mike have already started working overnights at Target, and it's a touch longer than an hour drive from Jim's place. I start work a little further out from that this coming Friday. I was talking to Momolla while she was at the local farmer's market and she was looking at bunnies with El and Kate, and I was told that I can't have a bunny, because bunnies can't live in my car with me. Strangely, this actually upset me. I could totally share my car with a bunny. Dude. Totally. So. Yeah. I will use many creative swearwords when I'm less tired. Right now, I'm feeling too drained by all this insanity to even work up a good rant.

In lighter news, Mom, Kate, and El bought me a present today. This was before I was declared houseless. They bought me a Christmas tree! He's tiny and in a pot and his name is Francis, but I call him Frankie. He's got ornaments and garland and a bow and everything. Dad and I met Mom and company at the diner, and they walked in carrying a Christmas tree for me, and after everything else today, I just broke down and cried in the diner. In front of everyone. Yeah, I'm my mother's daughter. But that was really the best part of today.

Too tired and frustrated and grumpy to do any more blogging. Knitting continues, but if I talk about it, I will surely drop every stitch I try to work today, so I'll talk about that later. Time to go put my fuzzy jammies on and be glad today is over. Hey, here's a challenge! Tell me something good. I do this to Jim when I am ultra depressed, but he usually uses the old, reliable cop out of "I love you." I hope everyone else's weekend is going better.

4 comments:

Bells said...

oh what a shitty day! I'm sorry your moving plans have not worked out. Honestly, the rental market is awful sometimes.

Kate said...

Cheer up, Em. Life hasn't sucked the big one yet. Come on, you're a Wood woman.

Donna Lee said...

You have a good selection of houses to look at and one of them is sure to be the one. You know I believe things happen for a reason. You are a Wood Woman and you can do this and do it with style. And for once, I made YOU cry. Ha!

Rose Red said...

Sorry to hear the house didn't work out but you'll find a great home for yourselves and your little tree. And hey, Jim loves you - can't get much better than that, can it!