Friday, October 2, 2009

Eating Habits...

...it occurred to me tonight that if I lived alone, I would likely die of scurvy or malnutrition. While I love food in many ways for many reasons, I never really feel the need to cook just for myself. So instead, I end up grazing from whatever is available. For instance, I had crackers with some sort-of-bruschetta tonight, along with olives (green, straight from the jar), and frozen meatballs I defrosted in the microwave. I washed it all down with orange juice. Sitting here recounting it, I feel vaguely ashamed. And yet, I could have had all manner of things, or I could have gone to the store to get supplies, or something that qualifies as an actual meal. But somehow, I don't think I can be alone. How do you eat when nobody's around? Do you make a whole, balanced meal, working away in the kitchen to spoil yourself with tasty treats? Or do you graze from whatever catches your fancy, standing shamelessly in front of the fridge?

By the way, my interview for the forums liaison position went well. I'm getting ready to prepare some writing samples in response to actual forum postings involving my company. I realized today again how proud I am to work for American Muscle. Like any company, we make our share of gaffes, and people will mention that online. It's human nature on both ends. But our customer service is amazing, to the point where customers with nothing at stake will spring to our defense, always willing to tell a fellow Mustang lover that they should give us another chance. And, we work hard as a company to deserve that. I have never worked for a place, or even hear of one, that is so dedicated to doing the right thing and taking care of customers. It's a great feeling, to know I work for a good place that cares. Confusing to me, after all these years at huge corporations, but very good.

That's all for tonight, and I'm barely squeaking in under the wire. But tomorrow, the Ren Faire!

7 comments:

Rose Red said...

When I was working long hours, and husby was away often for work, I was quite lazy with cooking, and would graze as you describe! (but I would close the fridge first!!). Now, I try to cook at least one or two meals a week that have leftovers which are enough for another night's meal. It really doesn't take that long, provided you've got enough stuff in the fridge/pantry. But I know what you mean - sometimes cooking is such a drag!

Bells said...

i'm so rarely alone for meals now I hardly remember. When he does go away once or twice a year, i tend to plan something for myself that's the kind of thing he wouldn't eat (I did something with oysters last time!). But if it was regular, I'd probably eat a lot of eggs on toast!

Roxie said...

When I was single, I would fix something big on Sunday and eat it twice a day for days on end until it was gone, then finish the week with ramen. You can't make just a little stew or just a little pasta salad, or just a little casserolle. And I will NOT throw out anything edible. Fortunately, I don't have a refined palate, and I don't pay much attention to what I'm shoveling in. Peaches out of the can standing over the sink? Oh, yeah! Eat them with your fingers and there are NO dishes to wash!!

Kate said...

I'm with Roxie on this one. When it's just me, I do whatever I can to make no dishes. And I am so used to cooking for larger groups (usually five or more) that I don't always readjust my cooking for two as well as I'd wish. I usually end up with leftovers that get eaten over the next few days.
Frozen leftovers like meat loaf, meat balls, or some kind of casserole are definitely good for just-you nights, so maybe you could start packaging some of your left overs in single-person portions and freezing it.

Donna Lee said...

My fall back alone meal is eggs. I like scrambled eggs with cheese and I will eat them several times a week if I can. Fortunately, I don't eat too many meals alone or my cholesterol would be through the roof.

Linda said...

Frozen meatballs are nearly a meal. Just needs salad, rice, potatoes or spaghetti or cheese or something.

2paw said...

I veer from the sublime to the ridiculous: yesterday it was biscuits and cheese and a vanilla milkshake but today I had salad and then I made a lentil and chilli sausage stew. It depends how I feel, but I try to keep some extra meals frozen for emergencies!!!