Monday, October 19, 2009

Shameless Navel Gazing...

...because what good is a vanity blog if you don't get to write whatever the hell you want when you want to (let's face it, this is a knitting blog the way the national enquirer is a newspaper. there are vague, sensationalist stories and lots of filler)? This was another good, relaxing day. We slept late, I made cream puffs (the easiest recipe ever, honestly) and we spent the day at Laura's hanging out with our Jersey friends and relaxing. Jim watched football, but I caught up with my Amy-girl, who I haven't seen in ages. All in all, it was a good day.

I got to spend some time catching up with my girls and relaxing. It was great to just bask in the glow, and to talk face to face for a few hours. I also got to spend some more time with Amy's Mike, who seems to be a good guy. He and Amy are a good fit, and it's nice to watch them together. I was reminded again that I know some pretty amazing young women. Talking to Amy and Laura, I was reminded that things are pretty good right now. We're all working at decent jobs and making ends meet. We're all living our lives on our own terms, independent of our families. And we're all in stable, happy relationships with our men. All in all, this is a pretty good time for us. We've got room to grow, ambitions to realize, and dreams to chase. We've built some nice, solid foundations to work from, and some soft places to land if we miss our goals.

I might be the only blogger on the internet who's never posted a recipe to share, so I think I'll leave you all with my cream puff recipe. The filling options are my own, but the shell recipe is from the Betty Crocker cookbook I inherited from Momolla.

Cream Puffs:

1/2 c water
1/4 c butter or margarine
2 eggs
1/2 c flour

Pre-heat oven to 400 F (about two oh five c). In a medium saucepan, bring the water and butter to a rolling boil. Reduce to low heat and stir the flour in briskly until it forms a ball. Add both eggs and stir vigorously until the mixture is smooth. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet about three inches apart (they don't stick because of all the butter, so you don't really need to prep the sheet at all) and bake for about half an hour to forty-five minutes (the exact time will depend on the humidity and other science-y things), until the shells are golden brown. Cool them away from drafts, and cut the tops off. Scoop any unbaked dough out, being careful not to break the shells.

Fill them with either sweetened whipped cream (lemon and almond flavored were the two favorites that i've tried so far, but classic vanilla is always a hit) or a mixture of whipped cream and pudding (since i didn't have access to my own kitchen, i used instant pudding and whipped cream from a can. they disappeared, anyway.). If you're feeling fancy, you can drizzle them with some chocolate syrup or sprinkle confectioner's sugar over the top. They're pretty, and they taste fantastic. Also, for some reason totally unbeknownst to me, people will think you're a clever person who spend hours in the kitchen. Also, some people might declare their undying love for you, especially if you make your own whipped cream and let them lick the bowl.

In review:
--Today was awesome. Love the house, but I miss being closer to my Jersey girls
--Make cream puffs. They're the easiest dessert ever, though nobody ever believes that
--Why are weekends only two days long? It's just not enough time to properly goof off

4 comments:

Rose Red said...

If only I had some cream, I'd be making those cream puffs in a flash! Thanks for sharing the recipe lovey!

Donna Lee said...

I love cream puffs. And always forget how easy they are.

Roxie said...

Oh yeah! I can try those for the knitting teas!

What navel gazing? I was expecting you to explore the "Why-are-we-here-what's-it-all-about?" stuff. I'm delighted to hear about a quiet, congenial afternoon. that's how we get to know you.

Bells said...

wow, who knew cream puffs were so easy! Beauty! I'm doing that!