Sunday, October 25, 2009

Renovations...

... here on the blog, that is. What do you guys think of the new-ish design? It's not very daring or different from the old settings, but I think I like this. I'm a little undecided on the font, though. I'm fond of Courier, but I can't help but think it can be a little difficult to read sometimes.

This was a good day, all things considered. Jim's mom wasn't able to make it up this weekend, but his dudes came up to hang out. It's 3 am an they're down there going strong. Me, I needed to hit the bed. I know this is technically Sunday, but it still feels like Saturday until I finally go to bed and eventually wake up. Weekends are a beautiful thing, and I can't tell you how much I cherish getting two whole days off in a row to sleep in and relax.

I stayed up this late because I was caught up in a spinning marathon. I finally finished and plied the blue merino I've been working on, and it will get skeined, washed, and thwacked tomorrow. It's going to be a scarf for Laura, and I can't wait to see how it knits up. Now that the merino is off the wheel, I can play with some of the llamney (llama and romney blended together) Momolla gave me, or the scarlet silk that I have. The llamney is soft and pretty, but somehow, the silk is calling to me. I'll let you know how my first foray into spinning silk goes, it's sure to be an adventure, with how steep my learning curve is. Jim's dudes are fascinated by the wheel for some reason, and one in particular asked dozens of questions. It's kind of difficult to break down the technical aspects of how spinning works, why you ply your singles, and what the washing and thwacking does for your yarn for someone who's not at all into fiber. Still, it's worth explaining, even if only so people don't look at you quite so oddly.

In review:
--I have a theory that men don't have inside voices. I think it's a genetic issue linked to the y chromosome or something
--Lots of spinning happened today. Lots and lots, as my knee can tell you
--I make a pretty kick-ass fried meatball
--Tomorrow will be lovely

4 comments:

Rose Red said...

Oooh, fried meatballs - that sounds delicious!

I like the new look except the font - your feeling is right, courier is harder to read. But go with whatever you like! (maybe I'm just getting old and/or need glasses!!)

Monique said...

I like the blue and but I'm with RR, the courier makes me squint. It could be my age though.

Glad you have got into your spinning while the dudes kept Jim busy. I agree, men have no idea about inside voices and the later the night gets, they louder they become!

Bells said...

yes I found the font really hard - light against a dark backgound is hard at the best of times! But otherwise, looking good.

Oh yes, spinning! Great to hear you're doing some!

Roxie said...

Agents and editors prefer Times New Roman as the easiest font to read. And the nice thing about re-arranging the blog format is that you can change your mind at the flick of a key.

When I did spinning demos, 98% of the males watched the wheel and 98% of the females watched my hands. Even babes in arms focussed differently. It was interesting. And Jim gained great "Face" with his buds. You have an esoteric, cool machine with lots of moving parts. He must be quite the guy to have attracted you.