Monday, October 26, 2009

Beef Stew...

...does anybody have a particularly good recipe? I'm going to make it for Jim and Coll's birthday dinner, but I've never done anything other than wing it. I figure, if I'm going to be serving it to people, I ought to make sure it's decent.

In other news, I spun like a fiend tonight. The silk wasn't working with me very well, and I need some more patience and time before I start to work with it. So, I started working with the llamney. Gosh, it spins up quick! In half an hour of spinning, I had half a bobbin filled. I'm looking forward to finishing this and plying it, it will be so warm and fuzzy. It should only be a few more days before it's finished. It's nice to not be incredibly slow at something.

Sadly, that's all I have for you today. It was a busy, but uneventful day.

In review:
--Got a good beef stew recipe? I could use one
--I bought some sweet knee-high boots yesterday. They were on sale, it was totally necessary
--Tonight was speed spinning, it was pretty impressive

8 comments:

Rose Red said...

Knee high boots are always an essential purchase!!

Monique said...

This is a great beef stew recipe. A bit of a twist on an oldie but so so delicious. We make double and freeze it.

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/new-idea/13401/morrocan-chickpea-beef-stew

Hope this link works in the comment box. If not I can email it to you.

Enjoy!

Monique said...

I don't think it will work so I will email it to you.

Roxie said...

Flour and salt your beef chunks and brown them in oil. Toss in a couple of sliced onions and brown them, too. Add carrots (sliced if they're big) beef broth, a bottle or can of beer, and your favorite hard veggies (potatoes? turnips?) simmer in the crockpot all day long. Got any leftover cooked veggies to use up? Toss them in about fifteen minutes before you serve it. This is a good time to add mushrooms, canned beans and/or corn. If you added potatoes, dish it out. If you didn't, cook some noodles and serve the stew on top of the noodles.

As a college student we used to make "Whatcha got stew." at the end of the week to clean the fridge. The stale bottle of beer was sheer genius!

Galad said...

I agree with Roxie on adding the beer. It tenderizes the beef and adds flavor.

Kate said...

Roxie beat me to the punch, that is essentially the basic beef stew. There are so many ways to play with it, really, that any recipe you use is just someone who "winged it."

Kate said...

Roxie beat me to the punch, that is essentially the basic beef stew. There are so many ways to play with it, really, that any recipe you use is just someone who "winged it."

Bells said...

oh no it simply must be done with red wine! Beef Bourguignon! A good strong red and let the meat marinate in it for a while! Overnight is best but a couple of hours can do the job. Just google Beef Bourguignon and there are a million versions out there, some marinate the meat, some dont but the red wine is a winner.