Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Good Intentions...

...but bad results. I was meaning to post again yesterday, but we had so many errands to run after work that I went home, ate some dinner, did some straightening up, and fell asleep. I am an old woman these days, and I'm okay with that. And so today, there will be two posts from work. On the one hand, it will give me something to do. And on the other, if I write both posts early, I can rest easy knowing that I'm caught up.

I woke up sore again this morning, ready to have a good grumble and spend the rest of the day being all crabby and grumpy. But then I realized that nine months ago, I was diagnosed with a giant tumor. Five months ago, I was operated on. And today, I can move and stretch and lift and carry things. And I feel like a normal person again, and the whole experience is being assimilated better. There are some days where I forget about the scar. There are several days where I hardly hurt at all. Sure, I'm still sore and the muscles are still recovering. But mostly, I'm back. I'm me again, just me. Living my life as best I can, healthy and whole and happy. So maybe it's time to change my outlook, and rather than whining about hurting, be grateful that I'm healthy. I'm lucky. And I'm happy.

So for today, I am going to concentrate on the happy and the good. It wouldn't have taken much for the past several months to turn out differently, and not nearly so well. What's not to be happy about?

I finished the handspun scarf for real last night; I finally wove the ends in. I'm debating washing and blocking it. It's easily the most beautiful thing I have ever made with my own two hands. I can hardly bear to put it away and let it sit til it's time to wrap it up. I also finished my handwarmers/fingerless mitts. They're made from the gorgeous Noro RoseRed sent me back in April, and they were an adventure. I've never worked with anything like this yarn before, it's a single-ply and the variations in color and texture kept what would have been a pretty boring knit pretty interesting. They're fraternal stripey twins, which makes it easy to distinguish between the right and left mitts. The left is just a little longer, to keep that hand a little warmer. I've got a few other projects I'm working on at the moment, and a sizeable list of things I'd like to accomplish in the next two months or so. It might not all get done, but it's good to have goals.

In review:
-Life is good. Not perfect, but plenty good.
-Knitting is fun, especially when you make yourself pretty things.
-Having a job where you can blog from work is pretty awesome
-I have gone way, way overboard in my list of knitting projects for the next two months. This should be interesting...

2 comments:

Roxie said...

If we can buy yarn, and have a place to keep it, we are richer than 90% of the people in the history of the world.

You don't have to raise the alien baby!

Bells said...

yes that's an excellent way to look at it - and I can't believe it's been five months since your op. FIVE MONTHS? Holy crap. Keep going the way you're going Em.