Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Guest Post 1...

... brought to you today by none other than Momolla! You can find her at her blog here, where she has also been participating in Blogtoberfest.


So, what to say about my children? Of course they are the most beautiful, smart, funny young women on the face of this or any other planet. They are also ruthless. Don’t, I repeat DON’T make the mistake of becoming a zombie around them. They will double tap you in the head without a scintilla of remorse. I know this for a fact. They remind me frequently.

They are my Wood Women, much to their father’s chagrin. Pk and I were separated for two years when the girls were little. We were driving along and they were bemoaning the fact that we were “alone” and what would we do? I pulled the car over to the side of the road and said “We are Wood Women! We are strong, and we can do anything!” I held my fist in the air and they giggled. But it stuck. Now, when courage or strength are failing, all I have to do is say “remember, you are a Wood Woman” and they can find the last bit of umph. I am inordinately proud of them.

They are warm hearted and kind (along with the ruthless thing). They would give the shirt off their backs to someone in need. They have reached out over the years to extend a helping hand to folks in need.

Our definition of “family” is kinda loose. We have adopted many people who needed a safe haven over the years. Em reminds me of when I used to buy certain fruits that her friend Rachel liked because Rachel spent so much time at our house. It’s very different from the way I was raised. As the girls dated young men, we became attached and mourned their loss when the relationship ended. (I still miss Gio and Tony). They have entered into relationships that are enriching our family in more ways that I can count. Em’s significant other is such a good guy. He has a wicked sense of humor and seems to fit right in to the weird stew that is our family. Kate is in a young relationship and we’ll see but her young man is also a good one. El is unattached but I know one day she’ll find someone who appreciates her for her unique perspective on the world.

So, there is a snippet of the miracles that are my girls. Sometimes I have felt sorry for Pk because he is trapped in an estrogen filled world. He seems to handle it ok.

All things considered, I’m a lucky woman.

3 comments:

Roxie said...

Wood women are awesome! You CAN do anything.

Have you read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

Rose Red said...

I think PK is a lucky man! A wonderful wife and 3 fabulous daughters!

Bells said...

I love the concept of Wood Women. It kinda sounds like something earthy and wonderful, which you all are - just wonderful women!