Thursday, October 15, 2009

If I Won the Lottery...

...which is a game we all play sometimes, whether we admit it or not. It's nice to day dream. I've decided I would go back to school. I'd get a PhD in psychology and my master's in law and donate my time to people who needed help. I'd establish places for the 18-year-old 'adults' the foster system abandons to live. I would buy my parents a new house, or build a new one on the land they have now. I'd buy myself a house with enough rooms for Jim to have an office, me to have a library/craft/music room and a spectacular kitchen. I'd get my dad flying lessons, and send Kate and maybe El to Japan. I would hire a maid or a housekeeper. I would so take Momolla shopping with me. I would get a good haircut and pick up some jeans that finally fit, even if I had to pay more than $25 dollars a pair. I would buy shoes. Oh, the shoes.

If I ever won the lottery, I would travel the world and meet new people and visit old friends. I would still have a budget, though spending comes easily to me. I would find someone to give me lessons in whichever instrument struck my fancy at the time. I would host wonderful dinner parties. I would invest in a parking garage in the city to provide decent income. I would find a garage for Jim and buy him a couple of rusty old trucks to play with. I would con Jim into marrying me, and go somewhere exotic for our honeymoon. I would adopt a dog, or maybe two. Mostly, I would relax.

What about you? What would you do if you had no budgetary restrictions? Buy a desert island? Go on a shopping spree?

4 comments:

Rose Red said...

Sometimes I play this game but not much (since I never actually buy tickets in the lottery, so I'll never even have a chance of winning!).

If I did, I think I'd work out how much I (and husby) needed to live on for the rest of our lives (without being ridiculous or extravagant), and do something charitable with the rest.

Donna Lee said...

I'm there! We were playing this game on the train this morning. We were thinking of putting a Cone of Silence around Adam's house or at least a large brick wall.

Roxie said...

Ten percent goes to Medical Teams International. And then - I'd jack the house up and put in a basement, put on a metal roof with some solar-tube skylights, refinish all the woodwork and the floors, hire a gardner and a housekeeper and buy the house across the street for them to live in . . . How big a lottery did I win, by the way?

Kate said...

I would buy a deserted island and begin construction on my zombie-proof fortress.
After that, I'd probably buy a car, maybe an education.